Monday 28 January 2008

hamsters can do agility just like dogs can

Penny would love to see a hamster learning to do an agility course, as I saw in a video at Itchmo. (Of course, Penny would love the hamster for a different reason than I would. It looks just the right size to go down her throat without chewing.)



I think I once read that most if not all of the domesticated hamsters in the world are descended from one pregnant female who was brought from Syria early in the twentieth century. The Louisian Veterinary Medical Association site suggests that this is true, though from reading it I'm not sure whether other species of hamsters have been bred into the line over time. It seems that they would be incredibly inbred if they all descend from one litter.
Another site about hamsters, in Washington, says that most laboratory hamsters are descended from that one litter but refers to Chinese,
European, and Hungarian, Russian or Siberian hamsters.

7 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

OMdoG, that was sooo cute! I never knew hamsters can do agility too...That fella completed all the obstacles with no problem!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Noah the Airedale said...

Well that's different lol.

Penny you are more than welcome to stay at our B&B. We have a self contained cottage, the Coach House which is on our property next to the main house and we allow dogs to stay there, though we don't advertise it.
It would be great if you were to visit us, just stay away from Tess & Lucy, they're nutters.

Hugs and tail wags
Noah

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, the hamster didn't have your flair, though. And I can't imagine him doing a sideways roll with his human, like you did in your routine recently.

Johann The Dog said...

BOL! I wasn't sure the little one was going to make it through the tire, but she did! Good job.

Did you see my post on fish agility, seems lots of species are getting in on the act.

BTW - I posted about stretching the other day, I think you asked us our methods. Check it out.

Woofs, Johann

parlance said...

Noah, thanks for the info on your B&B. It sounds like a lovely place!

parlance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
parlance said...

Yes, Johann, I saw the post about stretching and I'm going to read it thoroughly. It seems to really cover the topic in detail. Thanks for posting it.
Re the fish agility, it's interesting that we are calling all these things agility these days. I commented somewhere recently (forget whether it was your blog, my memory is hopeless these days...) that I tried many years ago to teach my fish in the pond to respond to a bell