Sunday 13 September 2009

Scooby is rescued from a cave

How much effort and money should be put into rescuing a lost pet?

Scooby, an eight-year-old cavalier King Charles spaniel, was lost in a cave in the Hunter Valley, north of Sydney, for five days. Deaf, and frightened, Scooby wouldn't be tempted out by a trail of snacks, so the rescuers bored through solid rock to reach him.

I agree with what RSPCA state chief executive Steve Coleman, who said:
"It's certainly a time-consuming rescue but, again, I don't think that the public would expect us just to walk away because it's all too hard."

If it were my dog I'd hope to receive every bit of help possible.

Here's an article in The Herald and another.

2 comments:

Noah the Airedale said...

They often go to great lengths to rescue humans and often the humans know the risk they put themselves in. Why not go to the same effort for a poor animal. I to am glad they rescued Scooby. Good on them.

D & the Leuradales

parlance said...

Noah, I agree!!

A friend of mine lost her schnauzer in the sand dunes down near Wilson's Promontory about 18 months ago. He thought he had gone into a wombat hole. She searched and searched, most of the night, went back and searched the next day, and finally heard him under the ground. (I go sick in the stomach every time I think of it.) With her bare hands and sticks from trees she dug down to him.

Nothing is too much trouble to rescue a lost dog!