Thursday 2 August 2012

still resting the cut paw

It's  been a quiet week and I can feel my fitness slipping away and my waistline thickening, because Penny is still confined to the house to wait for her injured paw to recover, and I've discovered I don't walk if I don't have the motivation of taking her with me.

We're starting to play games at dinner time, feeding her meals as rewards for picking up her toys and putting them in the bucket; finding the nominated toy (not too successful); taking a bow; backing up; 'paws up'. Anything to keep her mind active, even if her body is not.

It's darned hard to find activities that don't involve using her front paws. I gave her a Kong filled with nice things (a couple of bits of kibble, a smear of peanut butter, some raw carrot pieces, a bit of cheese) and she worked diligently at it for about twenty minutes. But seeing she was holding it firm with her front paw, this wasn't such a good idea! She ended up with a sore paw.

Not long now, I hope. I think it's nearly healed up. We've been swishing it with saline solution twice a day and squirting Betadine onto the cut. Bandages are giving us lots of entertainment - I crouch on the floor, carefully wrapping her paw in nice clean gauze, see her settled, go away and walk back in to find the bandage on the floor and Penny resting comfortably. Lucky her paw is so small and only needs a short piece of bandage - otherwise I think we'd have gone through even more bandaging than we have. I'll have to refine my bandage-tying technique.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope she gets better soon.

proud womon said...

poor penny - and you!

i always found a sock over bandaged foot and then taped can take a few more hours to get off!

and a rosemary infusion is always handy to have around for cuts - a wonderful antiseptic...

Molly the Airedale said...

We hope your paw heals soon, Penny. No walkies is no fun.

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Thanks, Cardells. It's not a big injury, but it's sure taking its time to get better

parlance said...

proud womon, I'll try the sock idea, because the bandaging coming off is beginning to be irritating instead of amusing!

And thanks for the info about rosemary infusions - that's one I hadn't heard of. I'll see if we can produce some.

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, we went for two short walks today, not because Penny was impatient, but because I was, and I think it wasn't good for her. We'll have to be more patient.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Penny, hope your paw gets better soon!!!

parlance said...

Lassie and Benjie, we just had another short walk around the block and I think it went well.