Tuesday 18 June 2019

physiotherapy for an old dog

Penny seems to have a weakness in her right  rear leg, so we're doing 'reps'. Or maybe we should call them 'sets'. Who'd have thought it would be so complicated being an old dog?

Anyway, Penny doesn't care what we call them. She just wants to eat the food she's offered. (Usually little bits of raw carrot.)

She puts her front paws up on a little stool.




I tap her left rear leg and she lifts it and I support it gently, not taking her weight, but just reminding her to keep it in the air.



Seeing she's totally focused on gobbling the food, she seems to hardly notice she has her weight on her weak leg. 

I think it might be working, because she jumped from the footpath into the back seat of the car recently, the first time in months we haven't lifted her in.




I wish she didn't lick her paws, though. You can see how stained they are. We're working on that problem too.


1 comment:

Molly the Airedale said...

It sounds like your mom has everything under control with your rear leg, Penny. Keep up the great work! I have been licking my feets too because I find ticks crawling on me and I'm searching them out to let mom know that they NEED to be removed quickly. Yes, I do wear Frontline and it will kill them but mom wants to attack them before they bite me.