Wednesday 15 January 2014

it's very hot for dogs, humans and birds

It's hot. Hot all day and hot all night. Penny is feeling the heat.


We took the comfy pet futon off her bed and replaced it with a wet towel, but she's not convinced that's a good idea and has rejected it. I'll put the futon back on, tonight, because I see on the Snooza website they say it's cool in summer. Certainly Penny did sleep on it last night, and the temperature only dipped to about 28 degrees Celcius (83 Fahrenheit).


While she was flaked out in the best spot to receive the breeze from our evaporative cooling, I was out in the garden checking for fresh water in our array of bird bathing bowls.





As I was filling this final birdbath I heard a chattering...


...and saw two thirsty little birds sitting right beside me, not a metre away, with their beaks open, and realised they were my very favourite birds, pardalotes.

I knew pardolates pardalotes live around here, because I've heard their song from high up in the trees, but to see some down near the ground, right up close, was fantastic. I couldn't get a photo, because I didn't have a camera, and by the time I crept away and rushed into the house to get one, they were - of course - gone.

Here are some photos of these lovely birds.


4 comments:

proud womon said...

they are stunning wee birds...

and my wee petey is feeling very much like penny - although she did have to stay on guard last night, following the one fly that found it's way inside throughout the flat - all night - we were both exhausted this morning!!!

parlance said...

proud womon, Penny is always interested in flies. She eats them. Blowflies, that is. At the moment it's 4 in the morning, stinking hot, and Penny and I can't sleep. She keeps shifting from one position to another, presumably trying to find a cool spot on the floor, and I'm entertaining myself on the computer.

Molly the Airedale said...

What beautiful little birdies!
83 degrees is VERY HOT for overnight lows. We hope it cools down for you soon, Penny.

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Thanks, Mitch and Molly,
and you guys take care in that cold weather over where you are!