Tuesday 4 October 2011

dogs and sore throats

I had a sore throat for most of the last week, and one of the ways I dealt with it was to rest for a while each afternoon in bed, in the belief that rest is always helpful in making a good recovery from illness. Penny loved the fact that she was allowed to curl up with me - she's not normally allowed on beds.

It did occur to me to wonder whether Penny might catch my sore throat, but I thought that was not possible. Now that I'm feeling better, I've looked on the Net and, to my surprise, discovered that dogs can catch a sore throat from us humans - but not vice versa. She's looking healthy and happy today, so I assume it didn't happen!

And that's not the only dog-connection to sore throats that I came across. The old name for a severe sore throat was quinsy. And that word came from Greek roots meaning dog collar or dog strangling. More about this at my word blog.

Now, that I can understand! If Penny is walking on lead and spots something irresistibly fascinating, she goes for it, whether or not she's being strangled by her collar and lead. From the gargling sounds I'd say she suffers a temporary quinsy.

It's the same root word that underlies the idea of cynicism.

8 comments:

curator said...

Parlance, that really is interesting. I always wondered what a quinsy might be, since I read a lot of Victorian and Regency literature. I thought it was tonsillitis. Guess I don't smooch my dog's nose next time I have a sore throat, just in case!

Molly the Airedale said...

We had no idea that we could catch sore throats from mom and dad! We learn something new every day! We hope you stay healthy, Penny!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

Curator, I' knew I'd come across the word somewhere in the past, and I think you've made me realise it must have been in Regency novels. I seem to recall a guy in one of Georgette Heyer's novels who lost the heroine because he acted as if he had what we'd now know as a 'man cold', lol, instead of toughing it out.

Unknown said...

how interesting! I never knew that dogs could get sore throats from us!

Have you tried manuka honey for sore throats? Is really good and although it's a bit more expensive than regular honey, the active version really makes a difference.

Hsin-Yi

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, I think it's only the particular sore throat called 'strep throat' that the dogs can catch, and it didn't seem as if they would get very ill. But it's interesting to know.

parlance said...

Hsin-Yi, as I said to Maggie and Mitch, I think it's more of an interesting face than a big issue, but I love 'facts', lol.

Thanks for the tip about manuka honey. I had been scoffing honey by the spoonful, but it wasn't manuka. I'll get some and keep it handy. Luckily, I love honey! I love your Honey, too, of course!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Wow! That is interesting. Never knew a dog could catch a sore throat from humans.

parlance said...

Lassiter Chase and T, I think it would rarely happen.