Friday 11 January 2013

Summer comes crashing in

Penny doesn't read The Age, but I think she might have been interested in Wednesday's cartoon by Michael Leunig. Here's a link to the cartoon, but I'm not sure if newspaper links stay around for long, so I'll quote a section of the text:

G'day, G'day. Beg your pardon
I am here to wreck your garden
Tongue is cracked; claws are hot;
I've got prickles in my bot.

The words are accompanied by a picture of a creature with fiery breath and flaming backbone. A small human cowers before the monster, holding a hose with water trickling out onto a patch of ground near a home.

These days Penny comes home from most walks with prickles in her 'bot' and mostly everywhere else too! I don't know what the little plants are that have these horrible spiky seeds, but they are everywhere. We search through Penny's fur after each outing, not only to protect her from discomfort, but also to avoid the seeds ending up in our garden.

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom freaks when we come home with burrs all over us and they have to be combed out - each and every one of them. YUK!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Those darn burrs are such a nuisance! But I suppose the plants have to reproduce somehow.