Tuesday 24 December 2013

sunset and fruit bats

Two days ago, Penny and I strolled down the road to enjoy the beautiful summer sunset. Well, I enjoyed the sky and Penny enjoyed the smells on the ground.


Tonight, we set off with Penny's Other Human for a Christmas Eve walk, and I predicted that the sky wouldn't be interesting, because there weren't any clouds.

Was I ever wrong! The sky was filled with thousands (dare I say perhaps hundreds of thousands?) of fruit bats gliding past in surprising silence, headed who-knows-where? Pity the poor fruit farmer if his orchard was their destination!


It was the most amazing experience to see so many of these little mammals streaming across the sky for such a long time. We watched for about twenty minutes and they were still soaring across the night sky. I was interested, but as you can see, Penny thought it was totally uninteresting.


Happy Christmas, everyone!

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Our mom would have been screaming and running for cover! She's not a huge bat fan at all!
Merry Christmas, Penny!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly tell your mum to think of them as cute little flying teddies and then she might like them, lol.

Johann The Dog said...

Oh wow, I bet that was amazing!!! Happy New Year!

parlance said...

Johann, it was wonderful.