Wednesday 15 June 2016

take off the dog's collar when at home

Penny gave us an almightily fright this morning.

She had been doing her usual yoga routine - a few downward facing dog poses, the extended puppy pose, perhaps the sphinx pose and maybe even a cat pose. I walked past her and into the kitchen.

Next minute she hobbled past me with a seemingly broken leg. Totally broken, bent up near her ear. Even imperturbable Human Number Three agreed with my cry of 'Omigod, better rush her to the vet emergency hospital!'

How could such a terrible injury happen in one minute flat, in the lounge room of our home?

Well, I'll tell you how...

She had caught her toe in the metal ring on her collar. Can you visualise her, hopping along on three legs, with the right one bent above her head?

Poor Penny! It was quickly remedied, because the collar had a quick-release buckle and I don't think there is any lasting harm done. But she won't be wearing her collar in the house again. (We usually take it off when we arrive home from a walk.)

I do remember reading years ago about the danger of collars when dogs are at home, and just now I've visited another site with a horror story of a near-death experience that was worsened by the fact that the collar did not have a quick-release catch.

10 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

oh my. We hope Penny is ok. Glad you were able to release the collar quickly.

Molly the Airedale said...

Thank goodness you're okay, Penny!

Charliedownunder said...

Crikey ...... just as well I like to go naked. I never wear anything in the house and that's the way I like it. Im glad everything worked out aright for you. That must have been scary.

parlance said...

Lassie and Benji, I'm glad we had a collar of that type.

parlance said...

Molly and Mackie, it was a lesson to us about what can happen.

parlance said...

Charlie, from now on Penny's going to go naked, like you do.

curator said...

Oh my goodness, I swung by to say hi and then spotted this story....I am glad all is well with you! xx

parlance said...

Thanks, Curator. Here's hoping all's well.

curator said...

I came by to see if there was news - may we all safely assume no news is good news?

parlance said...

HI, curator, I'll do a short post to explain where we're at right now. Hopefully Penny's ok.