Wednesday 11 March 2020

A good dog has gone free

Penny's training release command to do as she pleased has always been, 'Go free.'

Tonight, as the vet euthanised her, her two humans stood on either side of her, stroked her and whispered into her ear, 'Good girl.'

I believe, as she faded, the last words she would have heard were her two humans whispering, 'Go free.'

We've been blessed to have such a marvellous dog in our lives. Even in this last week, she was calm through everything, the rush to the emergency vet only to discover a large mass in her abdomen; the visit to our own vet three times in the hope it might be benign and operable; today's last visit when she must have begun to bleed internally and had not even the strength to stand up.

I'm ending her story with two photos from today:

Out into the garden in the morning for a wee, and a lie down in the sunshine...


Gone free in the evening...


5 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

We are so very sorry. It's so hard to lose a family member. Our hearts hurt for you. Godspeed Penny♥

parlance said...

Molly, I know your human has endured this pain also, and I'm strengthened by the fact that she has got through it. Many thanks for your support over the years.

Molly the Airedale said...

Maggie and Mitch were there to welcome Penny. We have no doubt. Hugs to you♥

Teddy said...

Hi Parlance...I have been thinking about you and Penny for a few months..now I know why. My heart and prayers are with you. I wrote the blog “Talk to Teddy”. We live in Tampa, FL and occasionally you commented on my post and I yours. I absentminded forgot to pay for his blog to continue a couple of months ago and all my entries are gone. Sadly, Teddy was just diagnosed last week with prostate/bladder cancer...12 years old. We are going to try chemo/radiation therapy...he showed no clinical signs so it was a complete shock hearing about it after a regular yearly Che k up.
I am glad to see you are well and continue to take your walks.
Sincerely,
Tina & Teddy

parlance said...

Hi, Tina (and Teddy) I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope you see this reply to your comment, because I can't seem to get into your blog, and I'm not sure why. What terrible news for you. In one way, we were spared this pain you're going through, because we didn't know Penny had cancer until three days before she died. I hope it doesn't sound trite to say to you, just enjoy every moment of Teddy's life, because you know about the cancer, but he may not realise, so he's just living every moment as normally as he can. Especially while he's showing no clinical signs. I'd love to hear more about how you are going, if that helps you get through this time.
Catherine