Tuesday 1 July 2008

dogs have good memories

We're keeping Penny to short walks for a while, so she won't meet other dogs and maybe infect them with her (probably cured) kennel cough. And we couldn't go to training today, for the same reason. Not welcome...sigh...

So I thought we should do some 'kitchen training'. The first thing we did was play 'find the treat' around the house. Penny's brilliant at this. She does a 'stay' in the kitchen while I hide small treats way up the other end of the house, then at the signal dashes around following the trail of my footsteps. Great fun.

Then I thought of a game that we haven't played this year. We used to put out a selection of her toys and she would find the one called 'the red bone'. Well!! I put them all out and got prepared to re-teach the old game. As soon as I gave the instruction she raced over and grabbed the right toy and rushed back to me with it. Who says dogs can't remember things???

We took a video clip of her doing it a few more times. Here she is, showing how clever she is, lol.

8 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Wow, that is a cool trick! I'll bet Penny could do one that our Jason used to do. We'd have three little cups and put one treat under one of the cups, then we'd move them around and he could pick out the right one every time. It impresses kids a lot.

Molly the Airedale said...

You are cute as a button, Penny! Barn raisings are special events here in the US. It's not an everyday occurance at all! Our dad LOVES barns and timberframing!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Slavenka said...

Ha,ha she is clever and so cute :)

curator said...

! Kennel cough! I am so sorry and hope she's all better now. And what a smart doggy that Penny is! Not that this surprises me. : )

parlance said...

Aphasia decoder, I think we'll have a try at that game. Sounds like fun.

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, it must be enormously rewarding and fun being involved in a community project like that.

parlance said...

Slavenka, thanks. I'm still enjoying your jokes and interesting tidbits on your blog.

parlance said...

Curator, she seems to be pretty much better now, thank goodness.