Thursday 7 August 2008

dogs and planting in Darebin Parklands



Today Penny and I went to have a look at how the baby grasses are growing in Darebin Parklands.













It was the first time Penny had seen them, because she stayed home while her humans were planting poa grasses along the edge of the creek last Sunday.















It was enormously satisfying to work with others to plant hundreds of native plants and know that they will add to the variety of flora in this beautiful spot. Many of the people who worked that day walk with their dogs in the park, so they will enjoy seeing the plants grow. (Let's hope that the hot summer weather doesn't begin too early this year, so the plants can get a good start.)

Each little plant had a handful of water crystals beneath it, which should keep them going for a couple of months.


After they went into the lovely sandy soil, we mulched around them.
































For some of the volunteer 'gardeners', it was their first experience of planting in this wonderful park. I hope it will be the beginning of a long-term involvement. I've just been looking at a fascinating presentation about the history of the Darebin Parklands Association and I can only say how I admire the work that has been done so far.

9 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The world thrives on volunteers. It's great to be able to give back to a place where you enjoy going all the time.

Levi's mom

Pat said...

More power to you...and Penny! Keep up your good work.

Thanks for your comment on my blog about the watch repair fellow. Also, wanted to say that I think I figured out why you couldn't enlarge some of my photos before when I'd posted 3 or so together. It has something to do with an imbedded code on each photo, and when (sometimes I did) you upload in the wrong order and shift them, it gets messed up. I think my "one-a-day" photos are okay now.

parlance said...

Levi's mom, you sure are right about volunteering. I saw a great slicker on a car window the other day, something to the effect of, 'Go on, join in, The people who turn up run the world.' I thought it was great.

parlance said...

Bibi, I'm glad you've worked that out. Sometimes I find Blogger very clumsy and non-intuitive, but in general I like it.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" thanks you for your recent visit to San Francisco Bay Daily Photo!

Pat said...

Hi! Just answering your question on my recent posting, since I couldn't find your email here. I think the blue light is from somewhere in the shop, since from what I remember it was dark outside and in any case, the sky wouldn't have been able to be reflected from across the street.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing, volunteering to help make your community better!

I have an award for you!

Barklove,
Rusty

parlance said...

Bibi, thanks for that. As I said on your blog, I enjoy your photos.

parlance said...

Rusty, thanks for the award.
I liked the photo of you with your Kong. You are very photogenic.