Sunday 3 February 2013

a blind dog does obedience performance

Today at the Melbourne Pet Expo, I saw an interesting new type of obedience training. It's called Rally O. It seems to involve basic obedience movements, and is reputed to be a more relaxed sport than traditional obedience (which Penny and I found stressful in the extreme). I've Googled the sport, but can't find lots of specific information about it so far.

As I was leaning on the fence watching handlers and dogs go around the course, I was amazed to realise that the dog I was observing was completely blind.



If you look closely, you will see that he had no eyes at all. His tail wagged happily the entire time he performed, in the noisy environment. What a great relationship he has with his owner.

I so wish I could show you a video of him performing, but I filmed it with my iPhone and it comes out all stretched and weird. If anyone knows a way I could put it on the Net for you to see, I'd love to hear.


8 comments:

Margarita said...

That's impressive! I admire people who have such strong connections with their dogs and put so much effort in it.

Molly the Airedale said...

This must have been incredible to see! Well done to the doggie and his owner!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Johann The Dog said...

That is soo cool! We've tried a little Rally, Mum and I can't decide if I want to do Rally or Musical Freestyle when I retire from agility :)

parlance said...

Margarita, it was all about their relationship. It must have been so sad for her when his eyes failed him.

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, it was amazing to see!

parlance said...

Johann, I guess Rally might have come from the US originally. We might try it, now that Penny has problems with her leg and can't do agility. (Not that we were ever much good at agility, because the human part of the team was so uncoordinated.)

Lilli said...

Wow. That would have been worth of seeing :)

I've also heard about rally-O from Honey the Great Dane and other blogs. I've even heard it mentioned once here in Finland somewhere. But I don't think it's very common here yet. But I hope I can find a place to do it when I'll get my furry friend :) It seems more fun than the strict obedience.

-Lilli-

parlance said...

Lilli, thanks for that comment. I'll go over and search back through Honey's blog and see whether I can find a reference to Rally O.