Friday 9 January 2015

correction to my post about whether dogs might go to heaven

I've just read an article suggested by proud womon, who added the recommendation in a comment on my post  do dogs go to heaven?

In my post I had  written that Pope Francis comforted a boy whose pet had died, and said we can expect to see beloved animals in heaven. It turns out this was not said by the current Pope, and may have been said by Pope Paul VI. See this NY Times 'Correction' for details.

According to Vatican Radio, Francis did say, in speaking of heaven, 'The Holy Scripture teaches us that the fulfilment of this wonderful design also affects everything around us.'

The article discusses the way in which humans tolerate the terrible treatment of some animals - especially those raised to be killed for eating - yet lavish love on a few species chosen as companions.  It's a confronting topic, but the article is well worth reading.

4 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

We never got a chance to read what Pope Francis said about pets. We will have to check the vatican website.

parlance said...

Lassie and Benji, I think I'll have a look at the Vatican site also, and try to figure out what he actually did say. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I am sure it was on our news that he'd said something about pets going to heaven. Of course, if heaven is what it is supposed to be. I'll have to check out the article you pointed out, some are a hard slog, even as a vegetarian there is so much bad about treatment of animals in the food industry!

parlance said...

Yeah, poor animals, having to share this planet with us. I guess we can only do our personal best to alleviate their suffering. You're way ahead of me, by being a vegetarian.