Thursday 24 January 2008

bathing dogs in a hydrobath




Penny just had the first try of her new hydrobath and it was a great success, from a human and canine perspective. Penny loved it because she seemed to enjoy the massage effect of the strong jet of water. However, the main thrill was eating all those treats designed to help her remember that she likes baths. Here she is having a look at the 'cameraperson' to see if there is another nice dog biscuit on offer.



The bath is quite deep and I had to bend more than I expected. I could buy a tray that fits into the bottom and raises the level but then Penny would be able to scramble out, perhaps.

I managed to wash most of her, remembering to hold her ears pressed shut, but I'm still not sure how to do the face area. I was worried that the strong jet would hurt her eyes so I covered them with my hand also but this was the only part she didn't seem to like. I hope some readers who've had more experience than I have might give me some helpful comments!! (I'll ask Jabari's mum, of course, when we go for a walk.)

The fantastic thing about it is that it uses so little water and even that small amount can be run off into the garden. We used about a bucket and a half for the wash and another bucket of water to wash the soap off her.

10 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Wow! Glad to know that you enjoyed your hydrobath Penny... I bet you smell all flowery right now!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Sharon said...

That looks wonderful! I'm interested in learning how to bath a dog in one of those. Well, you know, around the head. I can figure out the rest of it, I think. When you get it figured out please let us know.

Noah the Airedale said...

Wow great idea though I don't know how 4 airedales would go in there. Bryan usually puts our lot in the shower which they aren't too fond of.

Denise

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, the strange thing is that she actually smells kind of like chemicals. The organic shampoo I use has a really weird smell. I hope Penny doesn't mind it.

parlance said...

Sharon, I called by your blog to say hello. As I said, it's a wonderful name for a blog!

parlance said...

Noah, You're wonderful to put up with being in the shower. I've heard that people do that but I'm pretty sure Penny would take off for parts unknown, trailing water all around the house!

Slavenka said...

Wish you and Penny happy Australia
Day .

parlance said...

Slavenka, thanks for the good wishes. Penny had a nice day and so did I.

Johann The Dog said...

Wow, that is a cool bath! I think my Mum would like that a lot better than the giant soaking tub we use. She wouldn't have to bend so far forward.

We use Buddy Wash and absolutely love the scent:
http://blog.raiseagreendog.com/search?q=buddy+wash

And for my face, Mum uses a wet washcloth with no soap, keeps me clean enough and safe too.

Woofs, Johann

parlance said...

Oh, Johann, that's how to do the face!! I never thought of such a simple way to do it. Thanks.