Sunday 19 July 2009

wandering the laneways with a dog

Penny and I often walk along the local laneways, enjoying the quiet pace of life off the main roads.



A few days ago we decided to explore some of the laneways that have not been "developed" as walking tracks, the ones that are mostly unused.





I suspect it's the existence of these often overgrown, hidden tracks that explain why our area is Snake Central! I'll be on the alert once more from October to May, and we won't be wandering so carelessly up these lanes. Also, I think there must be a population of foxes roaming them, too, to judge by the number of animal bodies we came across as we walked.

I think the first one was a ring-tailed possum.



Then we saw two dead birds - magpies, I think.




It's sad to see these dead bodies, but I guess they are part of the cycle of nature. Certainly, their bodies were decaying into the soil, and it seemed as if something had eaten them away.

But it was good to see a live magpie. And even though it's still the middle of winter, this bird was building its nest, so we'll be looking out for swooping magpies in the future.

8 comments:

JD and Max said...

Hi Penny - ooh, we love it when the humans take us on new walks to places we don't usually go. Lots of interesting new things to sniff, it's great! Tail wags - JD and Max.

Slavenka said...

Hi Parlance !
I have to admit that I have a fear of snakes, but I had the opportunity to eat a good stew of snake , which was a victim on the road.
p.s. nice pics with Penny :)

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom would be using a different path if she came upon dead animals, Penny! They really whig her out!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

JD and Max, Penny agrees that new smells are even as much fun as chasing tennis balls.

parlance said...

Slavenka, I've heard that snake tastes good. But I don't want to try it.

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, these dead animals weren't too disturbing, because they were well and truly dead. The ones I hate are the ones where I have to try to save them, because they have just been hurt. I HATE that.

umekotyan said...

Good evening Penny
Thank you for the photograph of the guest book.
The death is not thought ending.
Managing of nature that continues to new life.
However, I match the hand, and pray for.

from loved ume tyan

parlance said...

umekotyan, thank-you for the kind thoughts.