Wednesday, 5 January 2011

dogs and chocolate

I've been reading a newsletter from Fully Vetted, about chocolate.

And I'm horrified by how little cocoa powder it would take to kill Penny.

I knew chocolate was dangerous and I knew cocoa powder was worse than chocolate, but I didn't know how little of it would create an emergency. The article has a link to this interactive page where you put in your dog's weight and find out how much chocolate would be a problem, varying from diarrhoea to death.

We drink cocoa every day, morning and night. So we have to be extra careful from now on!

8 comments:

Lynn said...

I can remember a work colleague relating the tense Christmas his family had after their beagle pup detected, unwrapped and ate all of the gift-wrapped chocolates that had been placed under the Christmas tree. Fortunately the dog's suffering was limited to severe bouts of diahorrea. Bad enough, but thankfully not fatal.

curator said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that about cocoa powder. I'll tell my husband and we'll be extra careful.

Slavenka said...

Thanks for link Parlance ,it's good to know.

Maggie and Mitch said...

We don't have chocolate in our house that much unless it's Halloween or Easter but you never can be too careful! We're off to check out the article.

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

Oh, Lynn, that would be a terrible Christmas. Thank goodness the dog was okay.

parlance said...

Curator, I couldn't manage without cocoa morning and night, so I guess I'll have to also be extra careful. I felt as if the box of cocoa this morning was a stick of dynamite!

parlance said...

Slavenka, sometimes I feel as if the internet gives me so much scary information that I'm afraid to do anything, lol.

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, you're lucky to live with some of the few humans who aren't addicted to chocolate.