Monday 15 July 2013

dogs helping people who have dementia

Slavenka posted recently about a program where dogs are training to help people who have dementia. There's a link on her post to a video showing the dogs in training, meeting their humans, and living in their new home.

It looks like a wonderful pilot program. I hope the results are good.

I love that the dogs seems to be having lots of fun in their new homes and seem enthusiastic about doing their tasks.

Here are a few more articles about these dogs, at:

HeraldScotland

Guidedogs UK

and

Dementia Dog



4 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Dogs are wonderful and smart. Its interesting hearing of how dogs could be trained when patients experience symptoms to bring medicine pouches etc.

parlance said...

Lassie and Benjie, I agree that dogs are a very special species.

curator said...

I know my elderly friend did very well when his dog was living, but after she had to pass on due to health problems, his mental acuity took a sharp turn downward. I really believe dogs help us in so many healthful ways.

parlance said...

Curator, I think it's such a pity that in Australian homes for the elderly, mostly pets are not allowed. They could do so much to help people live full lives in their last years.