Wednesday 10 July 2013

Walking my dog below the birds in the trees

Bits of trees were raining down on Penny and her humans as we strolled along the paths in Rosanna Parklands today, so we looked up and saw an Eastern Rosella.


In the next tree we saw this bird:


I think it's a gang gang cockatoo. I can't recall seeing one so close to the city ever before, but maybe they are less rare than I think.

When I checked on the internet, I saw this clip, which looks to me like the same bird:



I checked once again at Birds In Backyards and read:
They are widespread in eastern New South Wales from the central slopes and tablelands to the south coast, down through Victoria's north-eastern regions to Seymour, with some records in east Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula and south-western Gippsland.
Rosanna is in the north-east of Melbourne.

Aren't we lucky to have these glorious creatures flying free around us?

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

What beautiful birdies you have on your walk, Penny! We wish ours were as colorful!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

Mary said...

I saw some birds in the same park. That little crest looked just like a gum blossom, making the bird hard to see. The birds are lovely at Rosanna.

parlance said...

Mary, when I first felt the bits of plant raining down on me, I looked up and couldn't spot the gang gang, because of that topknot that looks like a gum blossom.

parlance said...

Mich and Molly, the birds sure are lovely.