Wednesday 12 December 2007

floating dog toys that don't...or do


Penny loves swimming to retrieve toys. That's why I am always on the lookout for ones that she can grab in the water without having to open her mouth too wide - after all, she does have quite a short muzzle and it's not as easy for her to do this as it is for long-muzzled dogs.
Her absolute favorite is a ball, any ball. When I see the cheap, brightly-colored ones in the supermarket, I stock up, even though when she swims with these she has to have her mouth open quite wide.






Another one that is very successful is the JW Whirlwheel Squeaky Rubber Flying Disk. The only minor problem with this one is that it has a squeaker in it that is gradually coming loose - it fell inside the toy but we've pushed it back into place. Because it doesn't come out, we feel that it is still safe for her but there is the problem that the whole thing can sink if it fills with water. (Actually, on checking the link, I see that it isn't advertised as able to float. Oh, well...)






Recently I came across a toy that seemed perfect - a small floating disk about 5 cm in diameter (two inches) - just right for her size mouth. It wasn't cheap but it seemed worth it. Well, it wasn't. I tossed it into the creek and that's the last we saw of it. Splash, sink, gone. I've kept the packet to remind myself it's always a good idea to test floating toys in a bucket before heading out into the big wide world.






Ever since Noah the Airedale blogged on 19 October that they had a great new toy called a Wubba I've checked the pet stores for them and today I saw heaps of them, all different kinds. Even...a floating one!

Tomorrow is predicted to be hot so I think we'll mosey on down to the creek and try it out.
But, since my faith in advertising is shaken, first we'll test it at home!

4 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Oh, I just love to retrieve my tennis balls. They float too but some of them sink to the bottom, harharhar! I have that rubber flying disk toy too but the squeaker is dead. No more fun! I see alot of my DWB friends having this wubba toy. I wanna know, what's sooo great about it.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, I don't know what's so great about it, but Penny certainly is interested. It's just a cloth-covered ball with bits of material hanging off, as far as I can see with my human eyes, but she must see something else in it.
We didn't play with it today after all, because it was too hot to walk to the creek.

I'll let you know how we go with it.

Amber-Mae said...

maybe there are some treats in it... I've posted a video of me doing the 'Elephant' trick earlier on. Go & check it out!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Johann The Dog said...

Gracie and I love our Wubbas! But they are not for really agressive chewers!

Woofs, Johann