Tuesday, 25 December 2007

raisins and grapes are dangerous to dogs

We don't allow Penny to eat grapes or raisins. (Well, not knowingly. She's an expert at snapping up tidbits on our walks and we have to be super alert to spot food before she does.)

But, as far as possible, we avoid these foods because, as I posted on September 19, they can be dangerous to dogs.

Jabari's mum has sent me a report by a vet in the US of a dog dying from eating half a canister of raisins. It makes scary reading and is a reminder that if we let dogs live inside our houses it's our duty to keep toxic foods safely locked away.

We've just come home from our Christmas dinner with a big slice of Christmas cake filled with dried fruit. I'm going to get off this computer right now and collect the cake from the shelf and shut it into a cupboard.

5 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Actually, grapes are not THAT dangerous as we all keep saying... My hoomans went for a Nutrition talk few weeks back & this famous lady from Australia said, that you CAN feed fresh grapes BUT must peel off the skin. It's the skin that is dangerous, not the flesh. She also said that, one dog ate one whole kilo of onion rings & did not die! We doggies can't die that easily from eating these stuff but raisins are dangerous becoz the skin is dried on it & maybe when it's dry, the bacteria on the skin is much more dangerous, I don't know why. My hoomans still avoid feeding us those two & ofcourse chocolate too. Anyway, we don't like eating them anyway! So... hehehe! Not to worry...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Rusty said...

I just recently heard about grapes and raisins. It's good you are passing the word. Also onions should be avoided by dogs.

parlance said...

Rusty, I passed on the word because I thought it was an important message, but I think it is interesting that this account of the dog dying is all around the Internet, with lots of hits on Google, but I can't find any authoritative information about the vet who is supposed to have posted the original message. Perhaps it is not really from a vet clinic. But I think it is worth posting anyway.
Amber-Mae has posted a comment about onions and chocolate also. I always avoid letting Penny eat onions but I think she has snatched some when we are walking in the shopping street, where there is a Subway and also lots of cafes. So far we've been lucky and she hasn't shown any bad effects, thank goodness.

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, does your mum remember who the Australian dog expert was? I'd be interested.

Also, would it be okay if I cut and paste your comment into a new posting? I'm not sure everyone reads the comments and I think what you said is very interesting.

Amber-Mae said...

Parlance, sure you can post my comment in your next post but I made mistake. She's not from Australia. She's from America. Her name is Jill something... She's a researcher & a nutritionist under Nestle Purina. If I'm not mistaken, her name is Jill Cline. I'm not very sure but her 1st name is Jill.

Oh, she also mentioned about carrots. She said raw carrots is not really working for your eyes unless it's cooked. She said that the minerals, vitamins or something like that will only work if it's boiled. I felt really pity for those hooman kids who have been eating raw carrots for years, hehehe!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer