Wednesday, 19 September 2007

dog diet -grapes and raisins are dangerous

Posted by Picasa

Because Penny was the first dog to live in our household, we received lots of advice from more experienced owners. For which we are very grateful. Keep the advice going, Geraldine, Liz and others!

We were told to watch out especially for chocolate. Being a household of chocoholics, we have been very careful. Discovering that even a tiny puppy can mysteriously 'disappear' a whole packet of sweet biscuits from the middle of an unreachably high kitchen table - never solved that mystery! - made us even more paranoid about chocolate, so it's always locked away in cupboards.

But I've met many people who feed their dogs grapes and raisins. Yet, as far as I can discover, it's also very dangerous. I was browsing a site with delicious-looking dog recipes (food FOR dogs, not made of dogs, of course) and found a warning and a link to a pdf about the danger of grapes, written by a veterinary toxicologist. I investigated and came across a similar warning at 'beagles and'.


Amber-Mae said...

Oh yeah, they are...I wonder why? My mommy explained it to me too but I still don't understand why. I don't understand why chocolates & onions are bad for us too. I mean, they are edible to hoomans & no hoomans dies from eating them sooo far...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Yeah, Amber, I've tried to explain to Penny that she shouldn't eat chocolate and onions, but she doesn't seem to understand either. I guess you'll just have to trust us humans.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.