Wednesday, 15 May 2013

pindone poison info

After walking in an area where Pindone poison had been put down for rabbits, I wanted to know more. This is what I found:

It's an anticoagulant, and it sounds like a terrible death for the poor creatures:
Pindone interferes with the routine synthesis of vitamin K-dependent blood clotting factors in the liver. Without these factors, the normal daily damage to blood vessels can no longer be repaired. Poisoned animals usually die from multiple causes associated with anaemia or hypovolemic shock. A large single dose (18 mg/kg for rabbits) or repeated smaller doses (0.52 mg/kg/day over 7 days) are generally needed to induce death.                                               
• After ingestion of anticoagulants, there is usually a lag period of 3-5 days before the onset of clinical signs. This delayed onset reflects the time required to deplete existing stores of vitamin K and blood clotting factors. Initial signs of poisoning are depression/lethargy and anorexia followed by manifestations of haemorrhage including anaemia, laboured breathing, pale mucous membranes and weakness. Bleeding may be visible around the nose, mouth, eyes and anus and animals may pass bloody faeces. Swollen tender joints are common as a result of bleeding into the confined joint space.
• Discomfort and pain from haemorrhages in internal organs, muscles and joints typically lasts for several days before death. The time to death is around 10 to 14 days after the initial dose. 

Just frightful! (This reinforces my decision not to use anticoagulant poisons on rats in our garden.)

It seems a dog would have to eat a lot to be poisoned by this product, so I think my worry about Penny eating rabbit droppings was unnecessary.

Poisoning of non-target species can occur either directly by eating the carrot, oat or pellet baits intended for rabbits (primary poisoning) or through the tissues from a dead or dying poisoned animal (secondary poisoning).
• Although information on the toxicity and non-target impacts of pindone is limited, it is thought to be moderately toxic to a range of species. Whilst rabbits are extremely susceptible, sheep, possums and horses are comparatively resistant. Cattle, goats, chickens, cats and dogs are less susceptible than rabbits, but still may be at risk if exposed to large doses or smaller doses on successive days. A number of native species are likely to be as sensitive as rabbits to the effects of pindone. Macropods, bandicoots and a range of granivorous birds are susceptible to primary poisoning. Secondary poisoning can occur in species which feed on poisoned rabbits and carcasses eg. dasyurids and raptors.
• Rabbits dying from pindone poisoning can become lethargic and less aware of their surroundings. This can predispose these animals to predation which can in turn place predators at greater risk from secondary poisoning.
• Non-target species that accidentally receive a high enough dose of pindone will exhibit the same clinical signs as target rabbits i.e. physical weakness and lethargy, coughing and respiratory distress, pallor, anorexia, and ventral haematomas as well as internal haemorrhages.
• Because pindone is slow acting, if accidental poisoning of stock or companion animals occurs, vitamin K1 (phytomenadione) can be administered by a veterinarian as an effective antidote. It is usual to treat an affected animal with vitamin K1 for at least one week after an initial loading dose. If bleeding is severe, whole blood or plasma can be given to replace clotting factors and red blood cells. 


Lilli said...

That poison sounds very harsh and it could damage other animals too than rabbits. I hope they have really considered this through and not just put the poison there as the first idea that popped in to their minds.


Molly the Airedale said...

The poor bunnies. This is just horrible!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Lilli, I guess it might be a last resort to use this horrible poison. Rabbits breed up in huge numbers in Australia and do cause a lot of damage. I sure wouldn't want to take the responsibility of causing such suffering to animals, though.

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, is wish there were some other way to deal with the overpopulation of rabbits here in Australia. It's so sad.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Parlance for the information on pindone. This morning my dog Tyson ran onto my neighbours property and I saw him eating something. Later today I found out that the neighbours have put out baits for rabbits! I think I will take him to the vet for a blood test to be sure. Regards

parlance said...

Oh, anonymous, I'm so sorry to hear Tyson ate some rabbit bait. I'd love to hear how you get on and I'll hope to hear all is well. For the cost of a blood test, you'll be able to relax, so I think it's a great idea to go to the vet.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the info. how long would dog un treated survive. Have rather sick dog & know of pindone baiting in this area. Thankyou parlance

parlance said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this and I apologise for not responding earlier. I'm afraid that I don't know more than what I posted. I'm anxious to hear that your dog is okay now.