Saturday 13 December 2008

dogs walk in the lovely rain in Darebin Parklands

Rain, lovely rain has been falling in drought-stricken Melbourne for the last twenty- four hours.

We set off to see how it has affected the Darebin creek in our parkland - and found the creek is reaching the top of its banks. Our favorite swimming hole usually looks like this:



But today it looked like this:



In the second photo you can see just the top of the rocks on the left of the first photo.

The creek looked rather scary so we kept Penny on lead along the path, even though it's an off-lead area. I'm glad we did, because the ball she was holding in her mouth dropped into the raging waters and she lunged after it. It took a bit of convincing to get her to acknowledge that it was gone for good!

When we got to the bridge we usually cross to get back home we realised we'd have to take the long route today:



That's the bridge in the centre of the picture, surrounded by the junk that came down with the flood waters.

And guess what? As we made our way along the path, what did we see?



Yes, our tennis ball, caught in the flotsam!

We saw other dogs walking with their people, but it seemed as if only dog walkers were out braving the rain.

9 comments:

Noah the Airedale said...

We've had a lot of rain lately too and it's been very cool. Today is blowing a gale and last night we lost power for a few hours.
I'm glad Melbourne is getting some rain. You guys certainly need it.

tailwags
Noah & D

i said...

Wow, that's really a heavy downpour! It's been raining here everyday.

Poochball101 said...

Hey I love your dog! So cute!!<3 <3 :D. Will u go on to my website at... poochball101.blogspot.com!

Bye huge fan~!

Amber-Mae said...

Oooh, I'd love to dive in there right away!

Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Noah, at last the ground is wet down further than one centimetre! My lovely water tanks have water in them - hooray.

parlance said...

Noah, at last the ground is wet down further than one centimetre! My lovely water tanks have water in them - hooray.

parlance said...

Happy, I hope you are enjoying your rain like we are.

parlance said...

Poochball, I did visit your site and I enjoyed your pictures and your BRIGHT text. I loved the red and green. Good luck with your blogging.

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, I bet you would dive right in, as you say. I've seen so many pictures of you looking happy in the water.