Monday 20 September 2010

entertainment for a dog after an operation

Now that Penny's feeling good after her operation, we're needing to entertain her for part of the day, in order to keep her from going stir crazy at the eternal confinement.

So, we're trying out some of our old 'kitchen tricks'. I tried to be careful to put the rewards down on the floor so she wouldn't jump to get them, but I was too slow once or twice.

I found a great list at the Yahoo group devoted to orthopaedic issues, Orthodogs - a group moderated by very knowledgeable and generous people.

Some of the suggested activities that look promising for us are:

nose touch to target - with increasing duration
paw touch (haven't ever learned that)
Leash manners (hmm... we're now finding out we could have done more with that in the past!)
find my one - scent discrimination
urinate on cue (oh, if only we'd achieved that, life would now be easier)
defecate on cue (I can't see that ever happening!)
use a specific place as the toilet (I wish!)
bark on cue
crate enter and stay with door open
stand
ring bell with nose
smile - capture this with clicker when it spontaneously happens
stop/freeze on cue
put away the toys
cock your head to one side
shake your head
yawn.

There are some in this list we know, so they'll be the ones we start with.

After all, we've got six weeks to perfect them - sigh...

Here we are doing some known ones. I'm really pleased Penny is using her hind leg, and I only hope we didn't overdo it this evening. I guess tomorrow we will see how she is.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that ortho group - ive learned and met so many wonderful people because of that group!

I will print out that list - thats awesome to have that to work on while they need rest!

Molly the Airedale said...

You're doing terrific, Penny - and really getting around on that leg!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Two Pitties in the City said...

I think that will leave you quite busy.I hope she's doing better.

parlance said...

Hound Girl, it's a great group, and an example of how the internet shows the generosity people have in sharing what they know.

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, she sure is using that leg. I'll have to check with the vet that we're not overdoing it.

parlance said...

Two Pitties, I guess we will be busy. I did some training tonight and she scared me a bit by getting too excited, so maybe we have to be super cool and laid-back when we do it tomorrow.