Thursday 8 November 2007

dogs jump rope

I just have to share this little gem that I saw on Bark Blog by Lisa Wogan. She got it from Active Canines, who in turn got it from YouTube. It's a viral world, isn't it?



I would LOVE to teach Penny to do this, and just for once I think I know how to go about it without any tips from others, because I have spent thirty years teaching little humans to jump rope. I'm a primary (elementary) teacher and I figure the way you get four-year old boys to do it will be the same as for dogs.

We used to jump a stationary rope, then a wiggly 'snake' (one person wiggling one end of a rope), then a swinging rope (side to side) and then one turning rope. I don't see Penny and I ever conquering two ropes, but who knows?

4 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Woooow! I'm soooooo impressed with all of them! Very well trained. I like the little poodle at the end. Soooo fast! I don't think I can do that ever...I have no sense of rhythm & timing & I'm not agile enuf to do that even at the slowest speed. How slow can you go anyway? Too slow & the rope will just flop down, hehehe...I think you will need to teach Penny to jump over your arms first coz i you noticed, the dogs were looking at the handlers arms while their owners kept on giving them the command to 'jump', 'jump'! So have to teach Penny to jump over both your arms first.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, you are right! I looked at the video again and they were jumping over the arms. Thanks!!

Now I know where to start.

I've tried the trick of Penny jumping over my arms but I have a problem with my back and can't bend down that low, so I will have to think about how to do it...

Amber-Mae said...

What about sitting down? Penny is not that tall...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, I'll try that. I did start to teach her to jump through a hoop and then through my arms in a circle. Does that make sense? I mean, I had my arms around the hoop and then I took the hoop away and she jumped through the circle of my arms. I'll sit on the floor and try that again, then just use one arm. Thanks for the help.