Monday 26 November 2007

training a dog to be aware of the movement of her rear legs

Penny is quite good at backing up but we still have a lot of learning to do. We practise in the kitchen as Cindy at K9 Kompany taught us to do - Penny stands on something marking the spot, for instance, a piece of cardboard, and I circle around her and reward for agile movement of her rear end. I've just noticed a very clear video of this type of training, using a phone book, by one of my all-time favorite YouTube dog-trainers, bigtoe7

4 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

My mommy has been wanting to teach me that a looong time ago but she said next time. She's gotta find something short for me to stand one. Not too short like the phone book but like the agility table.

I've just learned a new trick by the way. It's called 'Cross'. Chloe has learned it too & she also has learned the trick 'Dig'. We both haven;t really mastered the trick yet but we're working on it everyday till it's pawfect! Can't wait to show you all this Thursday after my mommy's exams is FINALLY over!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...

Penny and I will be looking forward to seeing those two tricks when your mum has time to relax after those exams!

Amber-Mae said...

Parlance, guess what? I just learned this trick today! The one where I'm supposed to move my hind legs around the book on the floor. In 5 mins, I got it. Still not pawfect though coz sometimes I tend to step off the book but I understand what my mommy wants me to do. She didn't guide me much, I just knew what I was supposed to do. Mommy said I need something taller to stand on so that I won't step off the object too easily. The command my mommy uses is, right'. Later, she will teach me 'left', clockwise way.

Btw, what's your pee-mail? I would like to sen you & Penny a X'mas e-card sometime near X'mas.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

parlance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.